Favorite Rivalries

Where we talk about nothing other than that. :)

Moderators: Nurann, Starath, Sinead, Optimal Optimus Primal, Razor One

una
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
RPG Characters: Whitegrazer, TyCross, and Blackarachnia

Favorite Rivalries

Unread post by una »

What are your favorite rivals in Beast Wars?

These are my top three:

Optimus/Megatron- Of Course! XD
Rattrap/Tarantulus
Dinobot/Inferno

Reasons:

Optimus and Megatron for the clash of leaders! XDD Optimus, the warm, parental leader vs. Megatron, the cold, apathtic, manipulative leader.

Rattrap and Tarantulus are both the sneaky spies of both sides and I loved their fights together. XD They both fight dirty which works!

Dinobot and Inferno is the whole clash between soldiers and warriors. Inferno is for blind loyalty without question and Dinobot is for Honor, following your own path.
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

Depth Charge and Rampage. They're pretty much like Batman and Joker. One seeks vengeful justice while the other just wants to break the former's mind and spirit. These two character are some of the most powerful ones to ever make an appearance in the show, so when they fight I find myself really entertained.
Darth Knuckles

Unread post by Darth Knuckles »

My favorite rivalries in Beast Wars would probably have to be:

Optimus Primal/Megatron
Depth Charge/Rampage
Tarantulas & The Tripredacus Council/Megatron
The Vok/All Transformers

Optimus Primal and Megatron is the classic polar good guy vs. polar bad guy and it makes for great battles over and over again.

Depth Charge is trying to do the right thing in his mind to capture Rampage who has been dramatically changed into what he's become. I think you're right on Alak about the Depth Charge (Batman)/Rampage (The Joker) reference. I think that fits very nicely in more that a few ways too.

Tarantulas & The Tripredacus Council trying to bring down Megatron was always interesting to me. Megatron really gets the upper hand eventually in every situation in the cartoon but I always liked the fact that Tarantulas was a double agent trying to bring Megatron down by other means. It appeared, for a second anyway, that Tarantulas had defeated Megatron until he sprang out of that lava as a Dragon. I guess you'll always have that lust for control and power among the Predicons except in the instances of Scorponok and Inferno.

The Vok was always interesting throughout the cartoon series because for the longest time you didn't know who or what they were. They made the Maximals and Predicons go through tests to see what they were able to do in certain situations. They ultimately thought that the transformers were too dangerous to the planet and would get rid of them. Of course Tigerhawk was awesome but I also liked how Tarantulas was the only one to really know of there existence and try and do something concerning them.
"Say goodbye to the universe, Maximals. The future has changed. Yeeeessss. The Autobots lose, evil triumphs, and you, you, no longer exist! " - Megatron (Beast Wars)
Night-Hunter
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Location: Looking for my sanity... *sigh* Still can't find it.

Unread post by Night-Hunter »

My favorite rivals:

Optimus and Megatron; thier incarnations have been trying to kill each other for 27+ years and it only gets more and more awesome and interesting.

Rattrap and Dinobot; funny and awesome when they get into thier verbal wars, i'm still surprised that they didn't kill each other through out the first and second season.

And of course Rampage and Depth Charge; two awesome characters fighting to the death, its a shame that they died but it was the only way for Rampage to be stopped.

Wasn't there some kind of Rivalry between Quickstrike and Silver Bolt?
"The enemy of my enemy is my bro."
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

Night-Hunter wrote:Wasn't there some kind of Rivalry between Quickstrike and Silver Bolt?
There was, but the show didn't expand on it too much after Season 2. Pity, too, because that used to be my favorite rivalry.
una
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
RPG Characters: Whitegrazer, TyCross, and Blackarachnia

Unread post by una »

OH! I forgot about Depth Charge and Rampage. D'oh!

Yeah, Silverbolt and Quickstrike had a rivalry but as alak said, we never saw much or developed on it more which I wished they did. That whole knight in shining armor versus the violent cowboy.

Also, I forgot about the whole rivalry between Blackarachnia and Silverbolt/ Tarantulus. They should have shown more of that too.
GoktimusPrime

Unread post by GoktimusPrime »

Under 3 Vs Transmetal Scorponok
Image Transformers Collection Count: 1458 (UCM)
OriginalSafeguard

Unread post by OriginalSafeguard »

I believe the rivalries and relationships of characters were a major part of what made this show/toyline great. I especially enjoyed the interaction between Depthcharge and Rampage, as others have said. But, one correlation I saw was the Primal & Cheetor as father and son. This continued and grew throughout the series. While I didn't enjoy Beast Machines as much as BW we did observe this particular relationship/rivalry mature there. I call this a rivalry, even within Beast Wars, because of the constant struggle of the "son" to please and surpass the "father" while carving his own, separate identity. Primal made this difficult, nay, almost impossible, because he was so good and powerful. Cheetor could never hope to even match Primal's qualities, let alone surpass them.
I wish I was as smart as I think I am.
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

Yeah I'd say it was more of a "rivalry" in Cheetor's eyes than from where Optimus was standing. Cheetor kind of saw everyone as a potential rival for Optimus' praise during Season 3. I'd definitely agree that the rivalry went both ways in Beast Machines.
OriginalSafeguard

Unread post by OriginalSafeguard »

Alak wrote:Yeah I'd say it was more of a "rivalry" in Cheetor's eyes than from where Optimus was standing. Cheetor kind of saw everyone as a potential rival for Optimus' praise during Season 3. I'd definitely agree that the rivalry went both ways in Beast Machines.
Many rivaries are one-way. For example, you might be mad at someone for offending you. However, if they don't realize at all that they offended you then they won't understand why you are so angry. You perceive a rivalry while they are clueless.
I wish I was as smart as I think I am.