Maximal Physiology

Where we talk about nothing other than that. :)

Moderators: Nurann, Starath, Sinead, Optimal Optimus Primal, Razor One

Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Maximal Physiology

Unread post by Alak »

I've always been really confused about this topic. I understood from the transformers wikia that Maximals' bodies were intentionally smaller than that of the autobots' for fuel efficiency and durability (not sure about the legitimacy of that second one). This seemed reasonable enough.

However, I then started to recall larger Maximals and Predacons such as Megatron, Depth Charge, Rampage, Polar Claw, Torca, Magmatron, Big Convoy, and even the revamped Grimlock. These guys are huge in robot form! If you watch the ending of "Changing of the Guard", you'll notice that Depth Charge is takes up two stories within the Axalon, unable to stand in the severed bridge with the rest of the Maximals (Primal in the same situation). These guys could easily pass as small to average sized autobots/decepticons. I don't know if anyone can find me a legit source/book on this discrepancy but any attempts will be appreciated. Even if we can't find any official info, discussions are more than welcome.

P.S.- We can use this thread to talk about any other topics regarding Maximal/Predacon physiology.
Xzuk

Unread post by Xzuk »

The only response I can think would be because they have so much more weaponry and need a place to store it lol...
I mean, Primal had 2 swords, a mace, shoulder cannons, and then a wrist gun too lol... Depthcharge has a sword, a gun, and his chest gun-thingy...

I dunno lol that's a really good question though...
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

That's a pretty good explanation, but Optimus Primal was pretty much average in my opinion. Rhinox and Dinobot were a few non-transmetals who were taller than him and they were far from being as stacked as the boss-monkey. Here's some pics:

NaitoKage
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by NaitoKage »

yeah, the maximals were sort of a evolution on Micromaster technology to be more fuel efficient.

Even though Dephcharge and Primal are gigantic, they're probably still more fuel efficient then original Autobots and Decepticons.. but then again those things could teleport or use magnetic powers or whatever depending on the specific character.

You'd also notice they're far simpler to repair compared to their original counterparts, with higher survivability as you can lop them into pieces and it becomes "merely a flesh wound", though apparently is based from their energon levels.
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

I suppose the easy reparations are a result of the smaller build's tendency to break more easily than Autobots and Decepticons. Has anyone ever given thought to weapons? For example, what's more advanced: old school or new school guns? G1 Megatron had that fusion cannon which could kill your average Autobot in one hit, but Rampage destroyed a mountain with several missiles lol.
Blazemane
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Blazemane »

I think it might have to do with the roles each of those characters had to play.

Even in G1, there were the giants among the giants. Astrotrain, Jetfire, the combiners (well, when combined), etc. They likely used more energy, but they were there to be huge sources of devastation to the enemy, and do other jobs like shuttling people around.

Maybe, since there are some large Maximals and Predacons, and if they only achieve the average size of their ancestors, then they aren't breaking their boundaries. What they did with that power became a result of their large size.

Depth Charge was the head of security for a colony of Transformers. A large size for him does not seem all that undue.

Rampage was being built with an indestructible spark. Perhaps his creators felt a large, imposing body was more fitting than an efficient one.

Magmatron and Megatron were both leaders of their own bands. They weren't, likely, born for this purpose, but the power they possessed was probably a great asset in gathering their armies, and controlling them. They weren't exactly standard material, but most leaders aren't.

The same could be said of Big Convoy. He has a bigger frame, but this isn't necessarily inconceivable. And then he went out and led other Maximals.

Torca and Polar Claw and Grimlock, then, weren't necessarily leaders, but again, could have fit the "bigger end of the Maximal size spectrum" bill.

But that's just my opinion.
I understand... you are, after all, a predacon.

[img]http://www.bwint.net/memberfanclubterrorsaur.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.bwint.net/bannersbfanclub2.jpg[/img]
xCubicZirconia
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!
RPG Characters: Maximal Aphrodite

Unread post by xCubicZirconia »

My oc I made that ends up being Depth Charge's love interest/bonded is like 5'7 cause she's lil, she's a seahorse for cryin out loud. I was told that Blackarachnia was 5'9 and Airazor was 5'6 so I thought my oc being 5'7 wasn't so bad.

Then I found out how big Depth Charge was...which is...one place I read 10'5ft then Joshin told me she had read that he was...I think she said 13ft or 14ft?

oh well, he's huge...

Now my friends are pickin on me cause of the size difference T^T
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

^ Yay for numbers! Do you know where you and your friends found these sources?

ps- a lot of tall guys prefer tiny girls, so if Depth Charge had a love interest who only reaches his waist, I wouldn't be surprised lol.
xCubicZirconia
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!
RPG Characters: Maximal Aphrodite

Unread post by xCubicZirconia »

^^; Huge size difference though...when we measured them out she was shorter than his waist lol
NaitoKage
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by NaitoKage »

That doesn't surprise me. Even more scary is the writers for beastwars did say they could have sex. So.. yeah, your Seahorse could be trying to... implant eggs onto a Manta.. ANYWAY!

Guns wise would probably go to G1 again since they had things from Fusion cannons to Glass gas and everything else. Though some of the G1 weapons made no sense, but that's because the writer specialized in writing (Got to interview the guy. He pretty much based TFs off names that sounded cool and characters off movie stars or tv or book characters. Shockwave is Spock.)

Now BW is pretty much tweaked down. Specializing more in explosives and bullets with some lasers and plasma weapons which they apparently called "Quasar" though that makes no sense as a Quasar is debree discharged from a blackhole.. and hollywood style Flamethrowers on Inferno instead of the real thing which.. are very much better in range and functionality..
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

I've always wonder how the primary weapons of each Megatron would compare with one another. BW Megatron was only half the size of Optimus Prime but still jacked his face up and left an injury that would've been lethal if not for the Maximal's intervention ("The Agenda Part 3"). G1 Megatron's fusion cannon managed to kill all the Autobots in a shuttle (Transformers: The Movie).

Or better yet, imagine if they team up! We probably shouldn't go down that road...
starshadow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by starshadow »

Erm LOL HAHAHA OMG *coughs* ok...ok...Relax....*drinks a cup of chinese tea* Ahh refreshing!! So erm about that manta thingy, it makes me laugh. Pretty scary about that "S" thingy. My OC is 7'0 tall soo...she's is maybe around the chest of DC's chest? or lower than that?
Aesir
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!

Unread post by Aesir »

Alak wrote: Image
AHHH!!!

Was this a time paradox episode?

where Airazor and Tigatron are in a scene with Tigahawk, and all 3 Cheetors are present, and everyone else's older forms

AHH!!! And the Ark is about to fly into the mountain!!! OH NOES!!!!!
[img]http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp265/Oracle_Aesir/Picture067-2.jpg[/img]

[url]http://oracleaesir.deviantart.com[/url]
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

starshadow wrote:Erm LOL HAHAHA OMG *coughs* ok...ok...Relax....*drinks a cup of chinese tea* Ahh refreshing!! So erm about that manta thingy, it makes me laugh. Pretty scary about that "S" thingy. My OC is 7'0 tall soo...she's is maybe around the chest of DC's chest? or lower than that?
Most likely lower than his chest. However questionable, the Japanese BW guidebook claimed that the original form of Optimus Primal was 9.19 feet tall (2.8m). He's about looking at the picture posted above, I'd say Primal would be the one standing up to DC's chest. Subtract ~2 feet from there and that's you OC.
starshadow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by starshadow »

HOLY SLAG?! MY OC'S REALLY THAT SHORT????? *faints*